Tools and Tips
Financial Aid eligibility is closely linked to your grades, course selection, the number of courses you complete or do not complete, and how long it takes you to complete your certificate or degree. To maintain financial aid eligibility you must continue to make Satisfactory Academic Progress as specified by federal and state regulation. If you have any questions, consult your academic advisor or a Financial Aid counselor.
See your academic advisor. If you don’t know who it is look on your Plan of Study by logging into your SIRS account or ask your academic department secretary.
Stop by the Advisement Center in Payne Hall 104 D or 104E or email: advisement. In Rome, go to Plumley Complex room 119 or 121.
Visit the Counseling Center in the advisement center to get help with personal issues or stress.
Stop by the Learning Center for tutoring and other academic help.
The Office for Services to Students with Disabilities has resources to provide assistance whether you have temporarily broken your arm, or have learning disabilities.
There are many people here to help you at MVCC. Your success at MVCC is our top priority!
- If you need financial aid, the time to apply is EVERY SPRING for the following summer, fall, and spring. The 2008-09 FAFSA is available online in January: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Check course availability on the website and ask your advisor to enter courses into your plan of study.
- Be sure you read and understand pre-requisite requirements.
- Remember to sign up for both lecture and lab sections when required.
- Do it early. Schedule for Fall in April. Schedule for Spring in November.
- You must secure your schedule with the Business office at least one week before the start of every term. If you mail in payment, call to confirm that it has been received.
- Don’t wait for your bill to come. You can view it on SIRS when you have web scheduled. You can even pay online through your SIRS account.
- If you are not using financial aid, check out the FACTS payment plan to secure your schedule or pay in full with cash, check or credit card at e-cashier or in the Business Office. Even if you believe that your courses are covered by financial aid, you must secure them in the Business Office.
- Succeeding in college means taking responsibility for your own education—in class and outside of class.
- Manage your time carefully. Use your MVCC planner to record your class schedule, assignments, important contacts, and things you need to do.
- Go to the Learning Center (Academic Building 151) if you need extra help in a course.
- Become familiar with the Library (PH200 or PC127 in Rome).
- Attend classes. Ask questions. Go to your instructors?office hours if you don't understand something in class.
- Get to know your academic advisor.