What is special about our program?
All Health Services majors complete externships, professional practice experiences, clinical practicums or clinicals in a variety of health care agencies. These experiences afford the student an excellent hands-on learning experience.
We offer a variety of support services aimed at student success:
- Professional Nursing Tutor works in small group settings for review of class materials
- Cadaver lab for Human Anatomy & Physiology gives human body experience for learning
- Capstone experience in the last semester; 64 hours in an acute care agency with an RN mentor to help ease the transition from student to graduate nurse.
- The Health Services Computer Laboratory on the Utica campus is staffed by a full-time masters prepared RN
- Two Nursing Learning Resource Centers provide simulated hospital environments for hands-on learning. (one on Utica campus and one on Rome campus)
- Two masters prepared Retention Specialists who work directly with nursing students to enhance learning. (one located on Utica campus and one on Rome campus)
- Day, evening and Saturday clinicals available to meet the needs of students
- State of the art medical equipment and manikins to enhance student learning
- Nursing faculty use technology in the classrooms
- Professional Tutor/Mentor for one-on-one assistance as well as workshops on test taking, time management, etc.
- An active Student Nurse Organization affiliated with the national organization www.nsna.org
- Availability of "SimMan," a simulated manikin allowing students to experience real life scenerios in a training setting. www.laerdal.com/simman/simman.htm