Welcome to the Psychology, Human Service and Education Department. Our department includes programs and courses for students interested in:
- Psychology, counseling, social work, case management and human services;
- Addictions treatment and prevention;
- Teacher certification, teaching assistant and special education;
- Child care, child development and early childhood education;
- Forensic psychology, social psychology, abnormal psychology, and human development
- Adulthood and aging, gerontology, bereavement and end-of-life issues.
Our faculty of 12 instructors has a wide range of expertise in areas that include forensic psychology, clinical and counseling psychology, educational psychology, child development, and chemical dependency practice. We use a team approach to advisement so students can always find an advisor to work with and can establish relationships with advisors who share their interests.
Active clubs and student organizations in the department include the Psychology Club, the Education Club, the Recreation Club, the Chemical Dependency Club and the Chemical Dependency Pre-Professional Forum. There are ample opportunities for students to get involved. Every semester, a few students in our department work with faculty mentors to complete Honors projects. Students in any department who complete 3 honors projects graduate "With Distinction".
Many of our courses are offered online. The department also has a dedicated computer lab for computer aided instruction and supports classes in educational technology.
For those interested in wide variety of fields, the Psychology, Human Services and Education Department at Mohawk Valley Community College is a great place to start. Come visit us on the Utica Campus in Payne Hall room 350.
"The child care courses and internships gave me hands-on experience that I still utilize today at the Gingerbread House Day Care."
- Kristen DiGiorgio
- 1992 Human Services Graduate
- Director - Gingerbread House Day Care