Supplemental Instruction/Study Groups
This program integrates how-to-learn with what-to-learn. It is designed to prepare students for exams and quizzes by reinforcing the material presented in class.
Supplemental Instruction students:
- Gain access to study guides and/or sample tests
- Prepare for quizzes and exams
- Engage in issues relevant to the subject area
- Get exposed to various study techniques
The Learning Center's professional/peer tutoring is available for a variety of academic areas. These services are provided by the students and faculty members of MVCC.
Some of the academic areas covered are:
- Computer Operation & Programming
- Social Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, History & Anthropology)
Students enrolled in any math course, statistics, science, or any other courses involving mathematics are welcome to stop by room AB 151 for math tutoring.
Math tutors are available to help students with a number of tasks, including:
- Preparing for exams and quizzes
- Overcoming homework-related difficulties
- Understanding particular problems or concepts
- Answering calculator-related questions
Study Skills Training
In these workshop students gain the skills needed to better prepare for quizzes and exams by learning different methods for taking notes and studying.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
This is a program offered to those students whose primary language is not English. This program helps those students in writing papers and comprehending other assignments.