The Major Gifts Campaign for MVCC and our community.
Challenge and Opportunity
Mohawk Valley Community College has embarked on the first comprehensive major gifts campaign in college history. After six decades of success, MVCC is preparing to enable Mohawk Valley residence to prepare for an era of new challenges. We are called upon to improve this community and our community needs its college more than ever to realize its workforce, educational, and economic prospects. To do more, MVCC will require direct support.
The goal of Challenge and Opportunity is $7 million which will be invested in four initiatives:
- We will make sure our students and their families can afford college. Our students are our lifeblood, and together we'll help them get an education here in the Mohawk Valley.
- We will break down barriers to educational attainment. We'll create opportunities for college success for people who never thought they'd have the chance.
- We will improve how we train the workforce of tomorrow. With our partners, we'll help the Mohawk Valley region overcome the economic challenges it faces today.
- In this economy, it is open season on hidebound institutions. Agile, proactive organizations will thrive. The new Educational Excellence Fund will keep MVCC ahead of the curve.
State support is declining. Demand is exploding. A widening audience counts on affordable, first-rate education as the only path to success. Students face leaks in the education pipeline. There are critical gaps between how students are prepared and employees' needs. But here in the Mohawk Valley, the future is bright. MVCC is a college of choice. The stories of Oneida County’s valedictorians unfold right alongside people from whom English, much less college, was an impossible hurdle before. We are more ready than ever to take on new challenges. We will never waver from our commitment to careful use of resources. We will always put educational excellence first. And now we will take our commitment to the next level with the $7 million target of our first comprehensive major gifts campaign. Together we will take the most important steps yet to build a community of learners, so we have a community that works. This area faces several challenges. MVCC and the community will succeed if they work together to forge ahead. I invite you to join Challenge and Opportunity.
Randall J. VanWagoner, Ph.D., President
1. Creating Student Opportunity
"Between challenging courses and motivated professors, MVCC has helped me to move on to the next step in my life. MVCC has helped me financially as well. I was benefited by the community’s support as the recipient of a Presidential Scholarship." – Kyle Richardson '10
Benefits to our students and families:
- Presidential Scholarship enables the top 10 percent of Oneida County High School graduates to attend MVCC tuition free.
- The ACCESS Fund will support an additional 50 students annually who just miss eligibility for financial aid.
- Special Scholarships: As the college that offers 90+ degree programs to students from every walk of life, MVCC truly has something for everyone. Give to an existing scholarship fund or start your own to expand opportunity further.
2. Breaking Barriers
MVCC is committed to helping those students whose educations and lives went off track in the past but are now turned around, offering that second chance. With more than 20 percent of its enrollment being non-traditional students, this campaign will help these students offset outstanding college debts in return for renewed commitment to education.
Benefits to our schools and students:
Early Career Connection: More than 500 students will benefit from MVCC offering a safety net to students who fall out of the education pipeline long before college because they have no idea of the potential benefits that await.
Fresh Start Fund: To help non-traditional students reinvigorate their educational pursuit without starting saddled with past educational debt. This fund is to help these students realize their full potential and renewed commitment to education.
Emergency Relief: This fund will provide stopgap emergency relief for students who face unexpected financial challenges but remain committed to education.
"For some people, MVCC isn't a college of last resort --- it’s the college of only resort. Mine is one of many stories like this. After high school my resources were extremely limited. I am extremely thankful that MVCC was there to transform my life for the better. MVCC presents affordable and convenient options and programs, as well as encouragement and hope." – Rick Short '79
3. Revitalizing Our Economy
Now is a time of unprecedented challenge and opportunity for the Mohawk Valley.
With our partners, we will help the Mohawk Valley region overcome the economic challenges it faces today by training the workforce of tomorrow. MVCC has the tools and programs along with partnerships to help residents of Central New York to thrive and prosper with in-demand skills.
"Imagine this community and this workforce without our students. We change their lives, and in return they change this community - one student at a time, multiplied by the power of nearly 40,000 MVCC alumni. It is up to us to help them live, work, and enjoy new opportunity here." – MVCC President, Randall J. VanWagoner, Ph.D.
4. Supporting Educational Excellence Fund
As the region’s needs change, so must this community college. MVCC will create an Educational Excellence Fund to remain flexible in pursuit of excellence and service. The goal is to keep MVCC ahead of the economic and cultural curves that the Mohawk Valley will navigate in the years to come.
Benefits to those who rely on MVCC:
There is immense and growing demand in the nursing and allied health sector with MVCC proposing to expand and enhance its programs with support from the healthcare sector. The open-door nature of MVCC allows us to accept any student who has the demonstrated ability to benefit, holding all to the same high curricular standards. Creating a Technology Fund will position MVCC to use technology as a tool that helps more students succeed in college.
Recap of Campaign Initiatives
Creating Student Opportunity
$3.5 million to endow scholarships.
$1.5 million for Fresh Start, Early Career Connection, and more.
Revitalizing Our Economy
$1 million to entrepreneurship programs and the Cornhill Center.
Supporting Educational Excellence Fund
$1 million to launch new health programs and more.
"I love the fact that MVCC, you find the diamonds – serious students who can go anywhere and have a wonderful opportunity. MVCC is a springboard for these students in our community. A community is only as good as what it invests in. MVCC is pivotal in that exchange because incredible energy is devoted to students. It’s a good deal for everyone each time we gain an MVCC graduate. Each one is prepared to join our proud community of workers equipped talent and tolerance. It is impressive how MVCC people go the extra mile, or two miles, to mentor students and help them overcome obstacles.
I hope that you, too, will go the extra mile. Please invest in Challenge and Opportunity." – John Zogby, Campaign Chair
Mohawk Valley Community College is well-respected and successful. We are making progress toward creation of an innovative learning environment. We aspire to be perfectly, flexibly tailored to meet the evolving needs of this community.
We are just getting started. Together we will propel this region forward. Please invest in opportunity.
"I am proud to support MVCC because I believe in the incredible potential of our students." – Steve Mandia '85
What is the purpose of the Challenge and Opportunity Campaign?
The campaign will help MVCC work with the Mohawk Valley community to overcome financial and educational challenges. MVCC will expand its efforts to build a community of effective learners, workers, and citizens.
Who is leading the Challenge and Opportunity Campaign?
Like all successful campaigns, Challenge and Opportunity thrives on the commitment of its volunteer leaders. They are supported by MVCC leadership and campaign staff. The campaign executive committee consists of:
- Chair John Zogby, Zogby International Research LLC
- Vice-Chair J.K. Hage, Hage & Hage LLC
- Honorary Co-Chair Charles and Connie Gaetano, Sr.
- Honorary Co-Chair Emlyn and Mary Griffith
- Elaine Falvo, Chair of the MVCC Board of Trustees
- Dana Jerrard, Vicks Lithograph & Printing and President of the MVCC Foundation Board
- Randall J. VanWagoner, Ph.D., President of MVCC
- Rocco Arcuri, Adirondack Bank and the MVCC Foundation Board
- Cheryl Beckett-Minor, Watson-William Magnet School
- Ronald Cantor, Ph.D., MVCC
- Alex Carbone, Carbone Auto Group
- Denise DiGiorgio '76, MVCC
- Frank DuRoss, MVCC
- Alicia Fernandez Dicks, National Grid
- Julie Grow Denton, McMahon & Grow Law Firm
- Matthew Snyder, MVCC
- Steve Zogby '82, Scalzo, Zogby & Wittig Insurance and the MVCC Foundation
Why is MVCC conducting this campaign now?
Based on a recent community feasibility study and national data on community colleges, 2010-12 is considered an excellent window for MVCC to launch its first comprehensive major-gifts campaign. Donor readiness and awareness of community colleges are rising, and MVCC’ February 2010 report of feasibility study results shows an impressively high level of support for an MVCC campaign at this time.
How much is Challenge and Opportunity seeking to raise?
MVCC has set its campaign goal at $7 million in cash and three- to five-year pledges.
Can I spread my gift over a period of time?
Yes. Investors are encouraged to consider multi-year pledges as a way to make more significant investments than might be possible with one-time cash gifts. This may also have benefits. The pledge option provides investors with more time to create endowed funds that will leave a lasting legacy.
Is my contribution tax deductible?
Yes. The MVCC Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non–profit organization. All contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Investors will receive receipts and are encouraged to consult with a tax advisor for complete details.
Can I direct how my gift is used?
Yes. Gifts can be given to be used as the College sees the best fit, or can be restricted to a particular campaign initiative or fund. This can be indicated on the pledge card or by discussing the possibilities with campaign staff.
What will the Foundation do with my gift?
The MVCC Foundation has a strong track record of fiscal responsibility. The Foundation’ protocols require it to seek the highest return, balanced with sound regard for its fiduciary responsibilities and managing risk to capital.
Are there different ways I can give?
MVCC has sought to create several options to maximize the difference you can make and create flexibility for you.
Challenge and Opportunity investors are encouraged to consider gifts such as annuities, stocks, bonds, land, real estate, trusts, retirement funds, in-kind gifts, and so on. Other options include planned giving through a will, life insurance, or trust. Investors should seek qualified advice and consult with campaign staff to determine the best kind of gift. Investments can be applied in a number of different ways – naming opportunities, endowments, memorial gifts, or to the campaign’s highest priorities as determined by the Executive Committee.
Investors are urged to discuss their options with tax and financial aid advisors. Investors should also contact campaign staff to determine the types of gifts that best suit their personal circumstances and will be of maximum benefit to the College.
- Named and memorial gifts: Investors may use a gift to honor a loved one. Those interested in these kinds of gifts should contact the Campaign Office to explore options.
- Endowments: An endowment is an eternal fund that provides annual income for college needs. Your original gift is invested to maximize total return.
- Anonymous gifts: While investors are encouraged to accept recognition, MVCC will respect wishes for anonymity.
- Cash: Cash contributions make an immediate difference. They are tax deductible over one year for or up to five years, depending on the gift and your income. Generally, the higher your tax rate, the greater the savings from a cash gift.
- Stocks and bonds: If you donate stock that has risen in value and that you've held for more than one year, you pay no capital gains tax on the transaction and are entitled to a charitable tax deduction.
- Planned giving: Your will can include gifts in the form of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or personal property; a specified percentage of your estate; or the balance of your estate after other estate obligations have been met.
- Life insurance: A substantial gift can be made with modest premium payments, or paid-up policies that are no longer needed for family members.
How can I learn more? For more information please call the Office of Institutional Advancement at (315) 792-5526 or visit us online at mvcc.edu.
Mohawk Valley Community College relies on the generosity of our alumni and friends to provide Challenge and Opportunity to our students. Gifts of all types and sizes can make a difference, and below are the many ways you can give and have a postive impact on our students.
Give an online gift now HERE. It’s safe, secure, and convenient.
Gifts by Mail
Checks should be made payable to the MVCC Foundation and mailed to:
1101 Sherman Drive Utica, NY 13501
Take the Call!
Our student representatives work hard to get the message out to all alumni and parents. So when you get the call from MVCC, please pledge your support.
Employer Gift Match
You can double or even triple the impact of your gift if you or your spouse’s employer participates in a Corporate Matching Gifts program. Simply speak with your human resources or personnel office about obtaining a gift match form and include the completed form with your contribution.
Please remember MVCC in your estate planning. For additional information, please contact Frank DuRoss at (315) 792-5526 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Ways to Give
To explore other ways you or your organization can partner with MVCC contact Frank DuRoss at email@example.com.